Skip to main content

A brief introduction







I am Lee Cronbach. For most of my life I have worked as a local or ‘journeyman musician – never getting nationally famous, but rocking quite a few cities in the US In my time.

 I’ve played in all sorts of bands – R&B, rock, country, lounge, originals, and church – and in all sorts of gigs (jobs), from rock and R&B bands to jazz combos, jazz big bands,  norteño bands, voice class accompanist, leading church instrumental groups, and others.   During the process I met a lot of interesting and creative people: professional musicians tend to be pretty original folk. And I had quite a few wonderful and wild adventures. 

Most of my living has been made from teaching – the performances helped spread my reputation which brought me students and funding from friendly families. And just as with the musicians I worked with, a lot of great stories came out of these families and adult students once you get to know them. In Berkeley, then in Boston, then in Los Angeles, I met and played with free drum circles, designed to bring joy to everybody’s soul, and everybody’s soul to the Spirit/the Lord/Adonai (or whatever your favorite name is). Free drum circles have existed here for centuries - mostly underground until the 1950s- fighting racism with music and dance, bringing people together musically in joyous unity, a sneak attack on the racist colonialism which ruled the world until recently. Their philosophy is best described by Boston’s Tribal Rhythms motto; “A man drew a circle to keep me out, so I drew a bigger circle to keep us both in.” These circles were again and again life and soul savers for me. 

Another rewarding aspect of my music life has been the stories and lifelong friendships that came from it. And even some hard times – my increasingly unpleasant experience as a part-time teacher and grad student in colleges being the worst – gave me the reputation which gave me enough private students to be financially comfortable, and led to the church jobs of the last 20 plus years, which gave me money and musical and spiritual satisfaction.
 
And then in classes, as well as with private students, I befriended a whole lot more families with a whole lot more amazing stories. Research for my teaching led to interviews with some of the greats of American music of the R&B and rock era: Hank Williams’ sister Irene; Fred Wesley, a master trombonist with both James Brown and George Clinton; and the Rev. James Cleveland, a leading composer and singer of the classic gospel era.
 
For the entertainment of future generations, I have posted here the wildest stories and most ecstatic music adventures. For the education of young musicians, I have included sayings of my favorite teachers, photos of music manuscripts when I had them, and as an appendix a brief bibliography of the lives and sometimes the works of these geniuses who helped me and so many others.

One final note – I am a gay Jew (me and Brian Epstein: check out a Beatles bio) and went from wild gay living in the early 1970s to discovering the gay Jewish movement and synagogues in the 1980s which led directly to the 36 years of my life with Dr. Baldoz, not only a wonderful partner but a life-saving physician. (Those Jewish mothers who advised their kids to marry a doctor knew what they were talking about!). Since anti-Semitism is on the rise around the world, I have added an appendix, “How to Survive with Your Soul Intact,” which applies also to anyone whose cultural soul is under fire. 

And last but not least, this blog is dedicated to Melvin Wiggins, my composing partner, master congero, and good friend for 45 years. Rest in Peace – no, make that play in joy, along with Richard and Claynette Ramsey, Charles Holley, Curtis Jones, and the other drummers who saved my life and then filled it with holy joy. Each chapter is devoted to a different city or a different band, church, or group of music students. Each is illustrated when possible by a link to a song on YouTube featuring that band or group of students (by the way, even instrumental pieces are songs in my ears), and photos. If you are an aspiring musician, I have enclosed written samples of some of the exercises of my greatest teachers, and lists of their available books and internet postings. Since Black music theory and education is so often based on personal example, I have also included lists of autobiographies that reward intensive study - Duke Ellington and Dizzy Gillespie par excellence, not to mention Dr. John and Keith Richards. Also look for available links on the Internet. And if one musician praises another musician to the skies, check that other one out! (Reading what Mingus had to say about Duke Ellington led me to Duke who led me to the world!)
And one more tip – we humans can never be sure that the Lord exists – but you gain so much more if you just go ahead and believe anyway. Nothing lights up your soul like the belief, and when your soul is shining with light …… well isn’t that tremendous! 

So, with that thought in mind, click down to the Prelude, jump into my 1970 blue Ford Econovan, and let’s shoot down the San Francisco freeway, because a carload full of pimp slavers is trying to catch their escaped woman who is crouching terrified in our van as I jam on the gas… 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY SISTER MARIA THE STORYTELLER – DARK PLUMS

                      My sister reading her ghost story thrillers to me and my bother              Link to my composition, inspired by Maria’s first novel, Dark Plums:            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNMDJGH5pDo                               -------------------------- FROM MARIA TO KANSAS CITY BOB  INTRODUCTON  – “My goodness! I didn’t know anybody else in this college had soul!” I was seated at the piano in the student lounge, around 11 pm, and the person standing behind me was none other than the locally famous Kansas City Bob.  Bob was a White blind freshman from Kansas City, a master musician who could play Ray Charles note-for-note, and lead a brilliant, unforgettable performance of Miles Davis’s Seven Steps to Heaven.   So for him to listen to me play and say I had ‘soul’ was overwhelming!            After high school I spent a year and a half at Washington University, St. Louis, getting up enough ‘A’s to get me as an out-of-state student into UC Berkeley .  (This woul

The Case of the Two Professors and the Knotted Portfolio

               “Why Do You Do What You Do?”                       It was an exciting morning for me.  I was going to be Interviewed by two jazz professors, and one might take Interviewed by two jazz professors, and one might take me on as a grad student. This was the moment I had been working towards ever since I had started lessons with Dr. Norden – to get some college degrees under my belt so I could teach community college, and no longer have to rely on gigs for a (bare) living.           Not only that – each of the professors had played in bands led by famous musicians before moving into the academic field: the morning professor – let’s call him Prof. A – in African-American ‘New Wave’ groups of the 60s the afternoon professor, Prof. B, in mainly white cool groups from the 1950s and early 1960s.             I grabbed all the most interesting compositions I had done for Charley Banacos – or that he liked the best – and a fugue I had written for Dr. Norden; and stuffed them into a br