Skip to main content

MY MOTHER - "WELCOME HOME FROM ARIZONA” (Cronbach)

 

 


         


                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKfMfDRokS0 

         

         

      

         The photo above shows a dinner conversation she was having with two close friends, near the end  of her life. I got the idea when she had come home from Arizona after a leg operation that had her walking on 'Canadian Crutches', a type of crutch which swivels to accommodate a severely bent leg.   I thought "the way she is walking now is the way she thinks:" and at the same time I had never improvised a piece in the Ornette Coleman style.  So I thought, let's portray Mom's thinking by playing a solo piano piece with the left hand doing a constant 4/4 walking bass, while my right hand is totally free rhythmically and harmonically, meantime the melody will follow how I imagined my mother's mind working on a theme.  I think this is one of the two really good pieces I composed in my New York stay.
           My mother had a mind which never stopped running: she loved long intellectual dialogues with close friends. She liked to 
hold dinner parties with my parents' friends – most from the colleges where they worked, from Dad's artistic career, and from the 
pre-Word War II days of their marriage.  I was fascinated by their conversations, so different from the way my friends and their families talked.  My mother was a brilliant conversationalist  and this piece is an attempt to recreate in music the way my mother's mind worked. She was at heart a poet, an intellectual, with a bit of a bohemian, and not really made to be a suburban mom. Her biggest flaw, which I think ultimately killed her, was her ingrained rejection of anything Jewish - she was raised to think of herself as an upper-class Anglo-German, not as a Jew: her whole family suffered from this.  It was the worst case of  Jewish self-hatred I ever saw.  

          However, if lacking on the maternal warmth side, she was a wonderful tutor, leading me through Mozart and Dickens, Wozzeck and James Joyce, and many others,  She also saved my left arm from the permanent paralysis often caused by polio by exercising it and bathing it every day for a year.  After another year of wearing my left arm in a brace, I was able to move it enough so that I was able to play the piano. And it gradually came back to almost full strength.   Syndrome peaking in power around 1980 (check out my Left Hand bass on  Morocco)  and then post-polito comingback accompanied by Parkinson’s, so that when I was was 75  in 2020, my Left arm was almost completely dysfunctional and I had to stop performing. 

         Mom also continued to influence my music - by playing operas and other classical music on radio and her record collection; by encouraging my improvisations; and sometimes dancing when I played waltzes and improvisation in three-four time.

         However, Mom hated American pop and jazz, and when my first beloved teacher called her excitedly that I had so much talent I could be another Liberace, the fired him immediately and replaced him with a Ukrainian strictly Classical teacher, Sonia G., who despised all American pop, folk and jazz.   When I wanted to learn harmonica for summer camp, she forbade it and instead wanted me to learn recorder!    I finally fired her so I could, if only self-taught, get back into the blues and jazz that I loved   Still, I now realize that it was Sonny who gave me the finger strength and agility that made that German reviewer of my free jazz recording Space Swell praise me as “ein grossartiger Techniker(‘’magnificent technique/technician”’). 

 

         When I left Sonia,  she had me playing Chopin Preludes and some sonatas from the big Sonatina-Sonata book – ‘the big yellow book”.   By a strange coincidence, many years later, the Car Chase #2 family (see “Car Chase Stories 2”in Prelude), came back to visit me this year in my Parkinsonian half-life,  and each of the two girls played one of the last classical pieces I had learned with Sonia many years ago.  Probably quite a bit better than I had done.  Still, a marvelous coincidence (did Mom arrange it from heaven? My son Jason the Judeo-Christian philosopher tells me that religious people don’t Believe in coincidence).  

         Anyway, here are those se Dunne girls recapitulating my past

while old Daddy Parkinson Beard sways around on his couch or crutch

(thunder courtesy of Luzon rainy season)

 

Philomena Solo  = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtViN1RTWK0

 

Anne solo= https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR5hqv4JM1w

 

         My mother and father truly loved each other, and this life grew greater with each passing year.   The decision to buy the French cottage, to move to Manhattan when  Mom wanted to see their friends outside of the Westbury suburb, everything, in fact, Dad did was for her.   This picture says it all. 


Phot of mom and dad sitting on hillside in France


 

        

 



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A brief introduction

I am Lee Cronbach. For most of my life I have worked as a local or ‘journeyman musician – never getting nationally famous, but rocking quite a few cities in the US In my time.  I’ve played in all sorts of bands – R&B, rock, country, lounge, originals, and church – and in all sorts of gigs (jobs), from rock and R&B bands to jazz combos, jazz big bands,  norteño bands, voice class accompanist, leading church instrumental groups, and others.   During the process I met a lot of interesting and creative people: professional musicians tend to be pretty original folk. And I had quite a few wonderful and wild adventures.  Most of my living has been made from teaching – the performances helped spread my reputation which brought me students and funding from friendly families. And just as with the musicians I worked with, a lot of great stories came out of these families and adult students once you get to know them. In Berkeley, then in Boston, then in Los Angeles, I met and played with f

MY SISTER MARIA THE STORYTELLER – DARK PLUMS

                      My sister reading her ghost story thrillers to me and my bother              Link to my composition, inspired by Maria’s first novel, Dark Plums:            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNMDJGH5pDo                               -------------------------- FROM MARIA TO KANSAS CITY BOB  INTRODUCTON  – “My goodness! I didn’t know anybody else in this college had soul!” I was seated at the piano in the student lounge, around 11 pm, and the person standing behind me was none other than the locally famous Kansas City Bob.  Bob was a White blind freshman from Kansas City, a master musician who could play Ray Charles note-for-note, and lead a brilliant, unforgettable performance of Miles Davis’s Seven Steps to Heaven.   So for him to listen to me play and say I had ‘soul’ was overwhelming!            After high school I spent a year and a half at Washington University, St. Louis, getting up enough ‘A’s to get me as an out-of-state student into UC Berkeley .  (This woul

The Case of the Two Professors and the Knotted Portfolio

               “Why Do You Do What You Do?”                       It was an exciting morning for me.  I was going to be Interviewed by two jazz professors, and one might take Interviewed by two jazz professors, and one might take me on as a grad student. This was the moment I had been working towards ever since I had started lessons with Dr. Norden – to get some college degrees under my belt so I could teach community college, and no longer have to rely on gigs for a (bare) living.           Not only that – each of the professors had played in bands led by famous musicians before moving into the academic field: the morning professor – let’s call him Prof. A – in African-American ‘New Wave’ groups of the 60s the afternoon professor, Prof. B, in mainly white cool groups from the 1950s and early 1960s.             I grabbed all the most interesting compositions I had done for Charley Banacos – or that he liked the best – and a fugue I had written for Dr. Norden; and stuffed them into a br