Skip to main content

Creation City

       

                         


During this time, late 1974 to 1975, I played with the R&B group Smoke (see above, Part Two, Chapter 12)
         While I loved John and Huey’s playing,  it seemed to me that the guitarist was just fair, and not really adding to the groove.  But I thought if I could get Jack Jarnis, the brilliant wah-wah guitarist from Kelly St.John, into the group, we would have a tremendous rhythm section.
         The leader of Smoke said Jack could sit in the next Friday, but before that Friday came John Kleckley gave us the grim news that next week would be the last time he played secular music: he had become Jehovah’s Witness!  So for just one weekend I had the pleasure of playing with a dream rhythm section, and then it was all over.  But I will always remember the beautiful living groove that my favorite trio – Jack, John, and Huey – created.  Playing on top of their collective  sound  was like surfing for me – one of my most wonderful moments in music
         Once Kleckley left, then soon after his rhythm partner Huey the bassist left too.  And when Huey left, Jack took me aside and told me he also was leaving.   “Lee,”he said, ‘”once Huey leaves, you will be the only real musician in the band, and there will be a lot of  weight on your shoulders with not much compensation.  Think about it.”   
        Well, the new drummer was a cymbal freak  - I called him the man from Hammer films (that British movie company that usually opened its film with a muscleman smiting a big cymbal with a huge hammer)…  It was all cymbals from the drums almost all the time, loud ones too, and as the new bassist was very weak, there was no groove at all coming from the rhythm section.   I quit two weeks later.
         Since Jack was still at loose ends I invited him to play on some of Ben Petrucci’s gigs.   Jack and Ben met In my apartment, and their sounds melded right away.   Jack was awestruck by Ben’s knowledge of theory, and ability to play on so many instruments and in so many styles. “Lee, the man is a genius!  Playing with him will be like going to school.””  So for the next few months Jack played on some of Ben’s gigs.
         Later, Jack described his admiration for Ben in a P.R. release Jack wrote for Creation CIty. “Ben has played every type of arrangement in Boston, from strip bars in the (Combat) Zone to social engagements at the Dorothy Quincy Suite of the Hancock building. His love and knowledge of all music, from Onette Coleman to Mancini have made him a musician’s musician … His arrangements are in the books of most of the working big bands in New England.”).  Ben wrote out all the horn arrangements for our songs, staffed our band with players from his casuals gigs, and played saxophone, clarinet, and flute on the recordings that have survived.  )  He also played oboe on a wonderful Near Eastern sounding jam that has been killed by CD/cassette rot, alas.  Jack and Charley made the most wonderful groove on that lost track, and Ben’s oboe was killer – I can still hear it in memory.
         Jack had similarly blown me away when we played together in Kelly St. John.  He had the best and most versatile wah-wah guitar I have ever heard, then or now.   Aside from the basic function of wah-wah, to keep a groove going, Jack could make it sound like a Near Eastern instrument, an oud or a zither. And finally, he could get great sound effects – hear his seagulls at the end of “Cranberry Dreams.” 
         The final five members came from Ben’s bands. Claudio Roditi was already famous in the jazz world – his later career included playing with Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Rouse, and Herbie Mann. He got a Grammy for Best Latin Jazz album in 2009.  Claudio played as a sideman on 51 albums, and as a leader on 19 more.  He had come from Brazil to study at Berklee, and after less than a year was already the most well-known soloist from the school. You can’t eat fame, though, not right away, and Claudio was yet another musician whose gigs with Ben Petrucci kept body and soul together. Ben would pick him up for every gig in Ben’s TransAm along with the rest of his crew that might be carless.
         The drummer on all the jams and the recordings was Charley Spooner, whom I thought of as the ‘Celtic Madman’, because of the wild expressions beaming out from his face when drumming.  A short, muscular guy with blonde hair falling over his face. Charley was one of the two white drummers I worked with in my life who always played a solid and inspiring beat (the other being Steve Barbose from Chambray); he played with Ben and me when we did that Southie army farewell party with the broken piano (cf. ‘Ben Petrucci’ 
         We went through two bassists = for “Spring Will Come” we had Lance Furbart, a Rasta-influenced bassist from Bermuda, who played in our studio session after finishing a gig  with the Bermuda Strollers at the Sugar Shack (Boston).  Ben’s regular bassist, Charlie Edwards, played bass on the other   Creation City recordings.  A big man, he could project that fat, rich sound that Ben always liked to give a foundation for his music. 
         The final member of Creation City was a high school trombonist and a pupil of Ben’s, Cory Nisson. Cory was still learning and didn’t play any virtuoso solos, but played with such strong feeling on his solos that some listeners said he had more heart than even Claudio.  As I hear it, both horns are wonderful in the free jazz sections of Spring Will Come and Cranberry Jams. 

CREATION CITY IS BORN:  RECORDINGS

         The three of us started having jam and composing sessions in my commodious  and almost soundproofed Fenway apartment. We gave ourselves a name, “Creation City”.   We had around 7 to 9 players every session, all from Ben Petrucci’s current or previous bands. After a few weeks of rehearsal,  Sherry of Hub Studios recorded four or five our pieces   Only one came out good, but it came out really good – “Spring Will Come” is one of the more popular numbers on my YouTube site.  

              


     

                                  Spring Will Come – description
                 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2Vb3Ab-wQ0
 
                  This was a mini-suite, where the same basic two to three chord pattern was put through 4 very different styles, with the first section repeating at the end for a total of 5 sections.  I composed the order of styles/grooves, while Ben composed all the horn parts and the written (as opposed to ad lib) ensembles. 
         First came a vocal sung by Jack, sort of as if Steve Sondheim had written a pop-rock ballad; then a hard-driving fusion rock solo by Claudio Roditi on trumpet; then Benny on clarinet, with just bass and guitar and light drums backing him up, no piano (the bassist Lance Furbart from Jamaica was with us just for this one recording); then I solo in a really old-fashioned Mexican style; finally we come back to the first style, enhanced by a lot of free style obbligatos and jack’s vocal experiments.

Spring Will Come - recording
                                         
         Aside from “Spring,” though, none of the other studio recordings came out that well, though, partly due to studio freeze, partly due to just bad composing on my part.   One of these was my attempt at a disco piece, “White and Tan”, one of the few times when I am grateful to CD rot, which erased this blunder of mine.    I do regret that CD rot killed a wonderful Near Eastern sounding jam with Ben on oboe and Jack getting an oud-sound from his electric guitar, which I had recorded on my home cassette. 


           
         Cranberry Dreams = on archive
                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dcYt8R63VI
   
                                
                CRANBERRY DREAMS – description
 
“Cranberry Dreams” suffers from studio freeze for much of its 12 minutes. Also, the concept that this music was to reflect Provincetown – cranberry bogs, beaches and seagulls, and Mike’s parties – was not always understood.  
         As a result, the opening and ending work, while the middle is a disaster. So I have posted the first and last three minutes, and cut out the middle. So the listener is brought into the sweet beach scene of Provincetown at the start, and 



then merges into the ending three minutes which go from one of Mike’s late night parties to the seagulls flying over the beach at dawn.  The climax is Jack’s wonderful seagull sounds on guitar, augmented by Jerry’s help from the bass to end the piece.

                         
                        Cranberry Jam - Recording  



       

                           Cranberry Jam -  recording  
                          (archive link)


         Jack decided on the order of solos by having it run simply by the chance order in which were sitting in my apartment:  so its Jack duetting with Jerry Edwards the bassist, then Ben’s sax solo,, Coty Nisson on trombone, then me, then the whole ensemble.  Charley was sort of soloing throughout the whole thing on his drums and the bassist, Jerry Edwards, maintained a strong drive changing just a bit with each section to enliven the whole thing. Jack’s playing is masterful here: constantly changing tones, styles, and often working with me: the old clunky piano has just the right percussive tone to merge with Jack’s ever changing guitar: wah-wah, picking, sighing – more different sounds than I can find words for.  Jack and I do an especially fine nice duet backup behind the trombone solo.   After my solo I lead the ensemble into a jam which becomes a groove of ascending notes led by Ben’s sax. Thanks one more time to Jay Kenney for rescuing and restoring this! 
         We recorded a couple more home pieces, then it was time for me to pack up and go to the big city (first I would try New York, then Los Angeles).  Mike Gullage sent me a letter from P’town with the exciting news that he had won a scholarship, complete with money for food and lodging, and was going to Los Angeles that summer.   This was a strong incentive for me to choose that metropolis, but first I wanted to visit my parents at our family home in Westbury one more time, and check out the New York jazz teaching scene.
         After I left, Ben and Jack tried to keep Creation City going, calling their sessions “Creation City East” while what Mel and I were doing was Creation City West.  Jack and Ben tried to keep it going until 1977, when it broke up.
          Ben continued his career as a performer and arranger/composer until now; he also started playing regularly in an African Christian church (for the details, see the ‘Ben Petrucc’ chapter in this blog).
         The last I heard from Jack was a letter he sent in 1980.  He was putting together a commercial trio with two friends – guitarist and drummer, jack playing bass. The guitarist was a Berklee teacher, where jack himself planned to enroll as a student in the fall.  Jack’s biggest news was that he was going to get married on May 3, 1980, in Greenwich, Connecticut.   He closed the letter saying he was “about to leave to go apartment hunting with Jane. Ah, the bliss and joy of nuptial entanglement!”  He said he would mail me an invitation, but either I lost it over the years or it wasn’t sent.  Victor heard a few years that Jack HAD married Jane, and that is the last that I or any of our mutual friends have heard of Jack.
Hey bro, thanks for all the wonderful bass playing and composing and jamming we did in the 1970s.   You can hear your bass or guitar and/or vocals on 9 of the 100 plus pieces on my YouTube site,    
                           Jack Jarnis is featured on these clips, all available on the main website link:


Cranberry Jam, Cranberry Dreams (excerpts) 
Spring Will Come; and the six Kelly St. John numbers:
  • Don't Wanna Lose You
  • Riverflies 
  • Rock and Roll Rainstorm                                 
  • Catchin Time on a Train  
  • State of Mind
  •  I Hear You Call My Name
        And my favorites, of course, are the wah-wah guitar on “Cranberry Jam” and the seagull cries at the end of “Cranberry Dreams.”  
         Creation City East, despite its lack of commercial success, was a major help for my own career.   I was able to combine everything I had learned from teachers and performers before I went to Los Angeles – all the way from Javier Castillo, Chambray and Frosty’s Dogs to Tribal Rhythms, Charley Banacos, Kelly St. John, and Dr. Hugo Norden and all the gigs and teachers in between.  This made me a very versatile player, able to fulfill most music style demands, and working with Ben completed my training. Creation City East is the foundation of my whole music career since then – studio work, accompanying vocal students, various styles of Latin, swing bands and church bands in Seattle, and all the other one-time gigs that I have forgotten.  And getting to work closely and for half a year with two such music geniuses as Jack Jarnis and Ben Petrucci helped me put it all together for my future career.
         I had come to Boston from San Francisco to learn music. Although combined with a lot of poverty and hard times, Boston gave me the music education I was looking for.  And I sure had some ‘bright moments’ (a Rahsaan Roland Kirk saying) on the way - the jam sessions, the two months of life at the top in Baltimore, the philosophic dialogues at the Cooperative Artists Institute, and the really exhilarating and wonderful performances, starting with Frosty at the Other Side and continuing right up to my last gigs with Ben Petrucci.  Not to mention the seriously good Italian cooking at restaurants throughout the city.
         So, all in all, I had a fairly good time while getting the music education I needed.   And all I needed for performing and for teaching. Thanks, Boston! You made me a musician. 
====================================================

 

                         

         

         

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A brief introduction

I am Lee Cronbach. For most of my life I have worked as a local or ‘journeyman musician – never getting nationally famous, but rocking quite a few cities in the US In my time.  I’ve played in all sorts of bands – R&B, rock, country, lounge, originals, and church – and in all sorts of gigs (jobs), from rock and R&B bands to jazz combos, jazz big bands,  norteño bands, voice class accompanist, leading church instrumental groups, and others.   During the process I met a lot of interesting and creative people: professional musicians tend to be pretty original folk. And I had quite a few wonderful and wild adventures.  Most of my living has been made from teaching – the performances helped spread my reputation which brought me students and funding from friendly families. And just as with the musicians I worked with, a lot of great stories came out of these families and adult students once you get to know them. In Berkeley, then in Boston, then in Los Angeles, I met and played with f

MY SISTER MARIA THE STORYTELLER – DARK PLUMS

                      My sister reading her ghost story thrillers to me and my bother              Link to my composition, inspired by Maria’s first novel, Dark Plums:            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNMDJGH5pDo                               -------------------------- FROM MARIA TO KANSAS CITY BOB  INTRODUCTON  – “My goodness! I didn’t know anybody else in this college had soul!” I was seated at the piano in the student lounge, around 11 pm, and the person standing behind me was none other than the locally famous Kansas City Bob.  Bob was a White blind freshman from Kansas City, a master musician who could play Ray Charles note-for-note, and lead a brilliant, unforgettable performance of Miles Davis’s Seven Steps to Heaven.   So for him to listen to me play and say I had ‘soul’ was overwhelming!            After high school I spent a year and a half at Washington University, St. Louis, getting up enough ‘A’s to get me as an out-of-state student into UC Berkeley .  (This woul

The Case of the Two Professors and the Knotted Portfolio

               “Why Do You Do What You Do?”                       It was an exciting morning for me.  I was going to be Interviewed by two jazz professors, and one might take Interviewed by two jazz professors, and one might take me on as a grad student. This was the moment I had been working towards ever since I had started lessons with Dr. Norden – to get some college degrees under my belt so I could teach community college, and no longer have to rely on gigs for a (bare) living.           Not only that – each of the professors had played in bands led by famous musicians before moving into the academic field: the morning professor – let’s call him Prof. A – in African-American ‘New Wave’ groups of the 60s the afternoon professor, Prof. B, in mainly white cool groups from the 1950s and early 1960s.             I grabbed all the most interesting compositions I had done for Charley Banacos – or that he liked the best – and a fugue I had written for Dr. Norden; and stuffed them into a br