Skip to main content

PREFACE: RAHN BURTON (VIA RAHSAAN ROLAND KIRK) SENDS A MESSAGE

 

(This is the pianist, Rahn Burton, who by soloing for 10 minutes
on a pop Motown song in many different classical and jazz styles
convinced me to forget about music schools and look for the
best private teachers )

RAHN BURTON (VIA RAHSAAN ROLAND KIRK) SENDS A MESSAGE
 
            After Frosty's band broke up I continued studying music, returning to the music school (from which I had dropped out to travel with Frosty's band) to study music theory.
            I was given a grad student there to tutor me.  On the second week he gave me an assignment, to re-harmonize a popular song.  I was into Motown at the time (thanks to Marvin Gaye's opus) and chose 'My Girl' as the song to be the source of the harmonic variations.
            When I told my tutor the name of the song I had worked on, he shook his head in a vigorous negative.  "No, Lee.  I meant a standard or Broadway song, something with 32 bars and a lot of harmonic movement already in it.
You cannot possibly write interesting variations on a song with just three or four chords!" 
            "But I think I did, sir! Take a look at it."
            But my tutor refused to look at my work, indeed, refused to even look down so he wouldn't even have to see my paper.  He ordered me to redo the assignment, this time chosing a suitably 'advanced' song from the Broadway or 'Great American Songbook' repertory.
            I went home furious.  He never even glanced at my paper!  How could he be so sure that the new harmonies were not complex and didn't work?
            Now Rahsaan Roland Kirk's band was playing that night in Boston, and I had been a big Kirk fan from the time he worked with Mingus and up to his current album Volunteered Slavery (appropriately enough, about 'volunteering' to play current R&B tunes which were not his first choice but the choice of Black youth).  
            As always, it was a wonderful set, and I relished the chance to see live his pianist, Rahn Burton, a full-fingered pianist in the Art Tatum/Jaki Byard tradition, with a lot of gospel in his sound. 
            For the closing number of the first set, Rahsaan announced "Now we are going to play 'My Girl'.  Rahn, take it away!"
            You can imagine how excited I was by this turn of events.   What would the full-fingered Burton do with this song? 
            Well, what he did was to solo on it for at least ten minutes, in a solo which was a brief selected history of keyboard music, starting with playing 'My Girl' in the style of Bach, then of Beethoven, then of Brahms or Dvorak, then of Debussy, then into the Black American tradition with ragtime and New Orleans, swing, bop, and ending with the modal style of McCoy Tyner.  And from what I could hear, there was a-plenty of new harmonies with each new style.
            Ten minutes!  Probably more!  The most complex piano solo I had heard since Duke Ellington's solo piano musings on "My fathers, far greater men than me" in 1970. 
            So well before Burton had finished, I knew that I had to find teachers from outside the conservatory, that I had to find on my own individual music teachers who had open as well as highly-trained minds,
            For a bonus, Rahn turned out to be very friendly at the set break, willing to spend a hunk of his precious off-time to give me advice on practicing - the only thing I remember now was he said he started every daily practice session with some hard work with the Hanon and Czerny technique books before going on to his improvisation work.
            And you can bet for the rest of my performing career - from around 1973 to 2010 (when I became more of a teacher than a performer), Hanon, Czerny, and other technique books were my daily bread (and from the African-American side,  Oliver Nelson's Patterns for Improvisation and Yusef Lateef's  Repository of Scales and Melodic Patterns.  (For best results, play the exercises in these books in 12 keys.  That will last you a lifetime!) (especially if combined with Charlie Banacos's advice, to start each day's practice by playing a song in all 12 keys  = or as many as you can manage: I never got past 4 keys per day!).   
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A brief introduction

I am Lee Cronbach. For most of my life I have worked as a local or ‘journeyman musician – never getting nationally famous, but rocking quite a few cities in the US In my time.  I’ve played in all sorts of bands – R&B, rock, country, lounge, originals, and church – and in all sorts of gigs (jobs), from rock and R&B bands to jazz combos, jazz big bands,  norteño bands, voice class accompanist, leading church instrumental groups, and others.   During the process I met a lot of interesting and creative people: professional musicians tend to be pretty original folk. And I had quite a few wonderful and wild adventures.  Most of my living has been made from teaching – the performances helped spread my reputation which brought me students and funding from friendly families. And just as with the musicians I worked with, a lot of great stories came out of these families and adult students once you get to know them. In Berkeley, then in Boston, then in Los Angeles, I met and played with f

MY SISTER MARIA THE STORYTELLER – DARK PLUMS

                      My sister reading her ghost story thrillers to me and my bother              Link to my composition, inspired by Maria’s first novel, Dark Plums:            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNMDJGH5pDo                               -------------------------- FROM MARIA TO KANSAS CITY BOB  INTRODUCTON  – “My goodness! I didn’t know anybody else in this college had soul!” I was seated at the piano in the student lounge, around 11 pm, and the person standing behind me was none other than the locally famous Kansas City Bob.  Bob was a White blind freshman from Kansas City, a master musician who could play Ray Charles note-for-note, and lead a brilliant, unforgettable performance of Miles Davis’s Seven Steps to Heaven.   So for him to listen to me play and say I had ‘soul’ was overwhelming!            After high school I spent a year and a half at Washington University, St. Louis, getting up enough ‘A’s to get me as an out-of-state student into UC Berkeley .  (This woul

The Case of the Two Professors and the Knotted Portfolio

               “Why Do You Do What You Do?”                       It was an exciting morning for me.  I was going to be Interviewed by two jazz professors, and one might take Interviewed by two jazz professors, and one might take me on as a grad student. This was the moment I had been working towards ever since I had started lessons with Dr. Norden – to get some college degrees under my belt so I could teach community college, and no longer have to rely on gigs for a (bare) living.           Not only that – each of the professors had played in bands led by famous musicians before moving into the academic field: the morning professor – let’s call him Prof. A – in African-American ‘New Wave’ groups of the 60s the afternoon professor, Prof. B, in mainly white cool groups from the 1950s and early 1960s.             I grabbed all the most interesting compositions I had done for Charley Banacos – or that he liked the best – and a fugue I had written for Dr. Norden; and stuffed them into a br