Skip to main content

MY FATHER, ROBERT CRONBACH – AMAZING GRACE

 

(Society of Medalist 1987 Robert Cronbach "Sunrise & Moonrise"

 
 
            This version of the gospel classic is dedicated to my father, who learned a lot of Ozark songs and music style from growing up in Missouri, and even more from hanging out with Woody Guthrie in New York City in the 1930s, when walking through the empty late night streets from some radical leftwing meeting. In turn, my father taught me this music style when as a kid I accompanied him in our van when he was driving some new piece of landscape bronze sculpture he had completed to its destination.  He would sing a dozen or songs he had learned from Woody or from friends in St Louis where Dad had grown up. He didn't intent to teach me as such, just keeping us entertained through the long drives to upstate New York, or Missouri, or some other distant locale (Dad hated the radio).   He knew a dozen songs, but the only one I remember is the Ozark version of 'Careless  Love" ("well its on this railroad track I stand, well, its on this rail-road track I stand-  with a ticket to heaven in my hand').  I never listened much to "hillbilly" music after that, but I remembered the style, and when the offer came to play in the Mountlake Terrace Lutheran Church in 1999, I discovered that the congregation loved it when I played an old gospel hymn in my father's 'Ozark mountain' style.  For many of these blue-collar families, this was their home style - and I kept the job for 14 years.  Thanks, Dad!

One of Dad's "architectural" pieces, from his late period (c. 1980s)
 
         Dad (and Mom) enriched our childhood greatly by taking us on one day trips to New England, hiking up mountain roads to get a reward of fresh strawberries growing on the mountain top and a wonderful view.  Dad always saying “use your eyes – no one uses their eyes anymore!” as he pointed out the details of some cloud or view or even a unusually twisted tree.    This ‘teaching to see’ stayed with me until today.   When in my twenties some friends introduced me to LSD, and said “Wow!  Can you see that?” 
          I replied mentally – so as not to offend – “heck, I’ve been seeing that ever since my Dad showed me how to look when I was 12 years old!”   So psychedelics held no visual excitement for me: they were strictly for rare social use).  Dad was a great teacher – all his college class students loved him – and by his teaching he gave me new eyes, which have stayed with me ever since (and how fortunate that I am spending my last years in a country with the most beautiful skies and landscapes I have ever seen, in life or even on  Metroflix



         
         Dad’s one flaw was that he feared that one of his children might become more famous than he was – not unusual in artists, who often feel that its bad enough have to face competition from the outside world, let alone from your own children (read Steve Martin’s autobiography Born Standing 
Up for a really extreme case of this: ).  My brother Mike had the perfect career from Dad’s  viewpoint: becoming a well-off civil servant with no possibility of international fame, while first my sister, and then myself, became artists (in prose and in music respectively) and he became increasingly negative towards us.  His rare comments on our work were made only to disparage it.   However, he also loved us as a father and his letters and rare meetings with us were startling alterations of love and anger,  praise for success (rarely) with subtle denigrations of whatever we were doing. And my sister Maria discovered there had been several times when he had deliberately tried to block our success so we would not surpass him.
          I reacted by throwing away all the copies I had made of photos of his work – and then feeling ashamed of this psychic attack on my father.   Then I read in a book of Jewish ethics that if a parent is trying to harm his or her child, the Fifth commandment is superseded by the commandment to protect your life.  But then again Rabbi Moses Cordovero’s Palm Tree of Deborah, which I ‘providentially” found just as I was beginning this section, which says that just as the Lord forgives humans, we need to those whom we think have hurt us before we pray.

                  The Holy One .. recalls all the good deeds the have done from the days
                  Of their birth,  .. So should a human behave …. Behold there was a time
                  when he had not sinned …And he should recall the good they had done
                  in their youth .. In this way no human shall be found unworthy to be 
                  prayed for ….. (Cordovero, The Palm Tree of Deborah, trans. Louis Jacobs,
                           Sepher-Hermon Press, 1974)

         In his last years, when we met occasionally, his attitude towards his children was really schizophrenic:  warm parental praise and contemptuous criticism, unpredictably alternating without any warning,  Still, I knew how much he loved me when on my last visit to him in his small apartment in Mexico,  I saw every book I had ever mailed to him arranged in a neat row on the windowsill next to his bed.     
 

 
P.S.  If you want to see LOTS of the works of Robert Cronbach, click on this link, which must be the longest link in the world:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A brief introduction

I am Lee Cronbach. For most of my life I have worked as a local or ‘journeyman musician – never getting nationally famous, but rocking quite a few cities in the US In my time.  I’ve played in all sorts of bands – R&B, rock, country, lounge, originals, and church – and in all sorts of gigs (jobs), from rock and R&B bands to jazz combos, jazz big bands,  norteño bands, voice class accompanist, leading church instrumental groups, and others.   During the process I met a lot of interesting and creative people: professional musicians tend to be pretty original folk. And I had quite a few wonderful and wild adventures.  Most of my living has been made from teaching – the performances helped spread my reputation which brought me students and funding from friendly families. And just as with the musicians I worked with, a lot of great stories came out of these families and adult students once you get to know them. In Berkeley, then in Boston, then in Los Angeles, I met and played with f

MY SISTER MARIA THE STORYTELLER – DARK PLUMS

                      My sister reading her ghost story thrillers to me and my bother              Link to my composition, inspired by Maria’s first novel, Dark Plums:            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNMDJGH5pDo                               -------------------------- FROM MARIA TO KANSAS CITY BOB  INTRODUCTON  – “My goodness! I didn’t know anybody else in this college had soul!” I was seated at the piano in the student lounge, around 11 pm, and the person standing behind me was none other than the locally famous Kansas City Bob.  Bob was a White blind freshman from Kansas City, a master musician who could play Ray Charles note-for-note, and lead a brilliant, unforgettable performance of Miles Davis’s Seven Steps to Heaven.   So for him to listen to me play and say I had ‘soul’ was overwhelming!            After high school I spent a year and a half at Washington University, St. Louis, getting up enough ‘A’s to get me as an out-of-state student into UC Berkeley .  (This woul

The Case of the Two Professors and the Knotted Portfolio

               “Why Do You Do What You Do?”                       It was an exciting morning for me.  I was going to be Interviewed by two jazz professors, and one might take Interviewed by two jazz professors, and one might take me on as a grad student. This was the moment I had been working towards ever since I had started lessons with Dr. Norden – to get some college degrees under my belt so I could teach community college, and no longer have to rely on gigs for a (bare) living.           Not only that – each of the professors had played in bands led by famous musicians before moving into the academic field: the morning professor – let’s call him Prof. A – in African-American ‘New Wave’ groups of the 60s the afternoon professor, Prof. B, in mainly white cool groups from the 1950s and early 1960s.             I grabbed all the most interesting compositions I had done for Charley Banacos – or that he liked the best – and a fugue I had written for Dr. Norden; and stuffed them into a br