Skip to main content

INTRODUCTION TO PART FOUR: MY FAMILY AND MY MUSIC

  



            Once I had finished the course, I needed to get into Cal State LA. I was ready to go to L.A.   I had sent Mickey enough money to rent a piano for the apartment earlier, I had gotten my passing ‘B’grade, my parents had bought me a used but still functioning VW Beetle, so all was set for my move West.
         It took three or four days to drive across country.  The only interesting thing about the drive was in the Plains states. when I saw five tornadoes moving parallel to me in a row, but thankfully around 50 miles away from me on my right hand side.   It was a strange sight, as they moved like five tall soldiers, each the same distance from the next, all steadily moving West,
         For around ten minutes this parallel motion – me in my VW, the columns in their military formation – continued, and then thankfully the highway veered left while the tornadoes continued moving straight down their own path, so we went our separate ways.
         Now the average music or pop star biography goes like this: starting with an exciting episode from the height of the star’s career;   then going often deeply into the family background and adolescence of the star, then following the star’s progress until we finally reach the time of the exciting episode which begins the book.
         Now I think this is a really confusing and off-putting approach. The reader jumps from the hot episode into the long cold bath of family background, so that by the time we reach the stage of the subject’s career which started the book, we have forgotten a lot of what that episode was about – so we get a recap.
         So I decided to put the ‘family and youth’ (Part Four) right where there was a natural break in my life.    From Berkeley to my decision to move West makes one continuous story line.   I went directly from my San Francisco hippy band to my Boston studies and precision country-rock band (literally: after my last Berkeley band performance one of their friends drove me to the airport, and by the next day I was rehearsing with Frosty’s band.)   The break-up of Frosty’s band led directly to my period of poverty, which is when I started my private teacher lessons and at the same time, my studying and playing with Tribal Rhythms, and almost simultaneously, playing with Ben Petrucci’s combo.   Then the Kelly St. John band grew directly from Tribal Rhythms (two members of the band had been hanging with or even a leading member of Tribal Rhythms). Then came my Kenmore Square solo life, but still studying with the same teachers as before, still playing with Ben Petrucci, still having my revivifying visits to the Tribal Rhythms commune, and still enjoying the occasional visits of Michael Gullage.   So you can see that from the time I started free jazz until the mid-70s, it was one continuum of music and learning and fun.
         But once I moved to LA, a new continuum began.  Being in LA, on the Southwest part of the US, directly opposite of the Atlantic Northeast, I played with a whole new set of musicians and bands., and what teaching I received was informally from church and R&B keyboardists, not written but, as Mingus has said, “mostly mouth to mouth”” (Mingus, “Freedom””, from his suite Epitaph).  
         So my drive West makes a natural breaking point in my narrative – so what better place to insert my family history, as my VW moves Westward. With nothing to see but those 5 minutes of terrifying tornadoes, lets entertain ourselves with the most interesting things I can tell about my family and how each family member made a different impact on my musical beginnings.  They all have pretty interesting stories about their own lives, which I will include in summary form along with some photos.
         I will give each family member a chapter, focusing on what they gave me musically.  Now if you are not interested in any family stuff, just skip ahead into Part Five:  Mel Wiggins. Creation City, and the Joys of Hollywood and East L.A.
         But just so you won’t miss the essentials of what my family gave me, here they are:
                  Dad – the Ozark/’hillbilly’s style of country melody, and eyes to see; family hikes on the New England mountains.
                  Mom – classical ears and classical technique, and jazz of the 30s and 40s; and some really fine English and French cooking; and her and Dad’s intellectual soirees.
                  Maria – tremendous enthusiasm pushing my music and for me to keep going no matter what - and a George Russell recording and her own life moving from adolescent despair to a being a prize-winning novelist and a beloved member of feminist and Jewish circles in Berkeley and Albuquerque.
                  Mike – introducing me to Afro-American music of the 50s and 60s (almost all of it), and leading a clique in high school which kept me sane and happy for two years.    (This chapter includes a list of  50 of the R&B and jazz musicians that most influenced him). 
                  Me - closing with Me and some of the local African-American community, which during my worst Asperger years (ages 9 to 15) gave me
shelter, as a sort of  ‘’protected species’’, so that I never even once had to endure the beatings that were so often handed out to Michael Gullage and his friends. 
         They also were the first to tell me I was a Jew, which led me eventually to my high school introduction to Judaism.
          So that for me Martin Buber’s Hasidic tales and WLIB’s
Gospel Train fused into one joyous road to Adonai. Hallelujah! 
         As I said, above are the basics of my background, so if you want to continue the plot , just jump into Part Five, meet Mel, Leigh, Lino Rodriguez, Sabine and many other fine people from 1970s Los Angeles – what a blast that was!
         But if you go right on reading this Part Four, it sure is more fun than
watching the acres of farmland and endless highway go on by.    It’s a fourday drive to Los Angeles, after all.              
         

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A brief introduction

I am Lee Cronbach. For most of my life I have worked as a local or ‘journeyman musician – never getting nationally famous, but rocking quite a few cities in the US In my time.  I’ve played in all sorts of bands – R&B, rock, country, lounge, originals, and church – and in all sorts of gigs (jobs), from rock and R&B bands to jazz combos, jazz big bands,  norteño bands, voice class accompanist, leading church instrumental groups, and others.   During the process I met a lot of interesting and creative people: professional musicians tend to be pretty original folk. And I had quite a few wonderful and wild adventures.  Most of my living has been made from teaching – the performances helped spread my reputation which brought me students and funding from friendly families. And just as with the musicians I worked with, a lot of great stories came out of these families and adult students once you get to know them. In Berkeley, then in Boston, then in Los Angeles, I met and played with f

MY SISTER MARIA THE STORYTELLER – DARK PLUMS

                      My sister reading her ghost story thrillers to me and my bother              Link to my composition, inspired by Maria’s first novel, Dark Plums:            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNMDJGH5pDo                               -------------------------- FROM MARIA TO KANSAS CITY BOB  INTRODUCTON  – “My goodness! I didn’t know anybody else in this college had soul!” I was seated at the piano in the student lounge, around 11 pm, and the person standing behind me was none other than the locally famous Kansas City Bob.  Bob was a White blind freshman from Kansas City, a master musician who could play Ray Charles note-for-note, and lead a brilliant, unforgettable performance of Miles Davis’s Seven Steps to Heaven.   So for him to listen to me play and say I had ‘soul’ was overwhelming!            After high school I spent a year and a half at Washington University, St. Louis, getting up enough ‘A’s to get me as an out-of-state student into UC Berkeley .  (This woul

The Case of the Two Professors and the Knotted Portfolio

               “Why Do You Do What You Do?”                       It was an exciting morning for me.  I was going to be Interviewed by two jazz professors, and one might take Interviewed by two jazz professors, and one might take me on as a grad student. This was the moment I had been working towards ever since I had started lessons with Dr. Norden – to get some college degrees under my belt so I could teach community college, and no longer have to rely on gigs for a (bare) living.           Not only that – each of the professors had played in bands led by famous musicians before moving into the academic field: the morning professor – let’s call him Prof. A – in African-American ‘New Wave’ groups of the 60s the afternoon professor, Prof. B, in mainly white cool groups from the 1950s and early 1960s.             I grabbed all the most interesting compositions I had done for Charley Banacos – or that he liked the best – and a fugue I had written for Dr. Norden; and stuffed them into a br