Skip to main content

JOHN KLECKLEY AND SMOKE



Smoke on a set break in our club.
From left to right: John Kleckley drums,
Huey bass guitarist,  Kenny bandleader and saxophone,
Lee Cronbach aka 'Groucho' ("Don't get grouchy, Grucho!")

   5. JOHN KLECKLEY and SMOKE  -  I ran into my last Boston teacher unexpectedly, when I got invited to join Smoke, an R&B band that was playing in Roxbury - one of the Black neighborhoods of Boston.  The offer came in 1975, when I was already thinking about leaving Boston for either New York City or Los Angeles.
         I fell in love with Smoke, as I had with Tribal Rhythms and Boston Elevated Railway, on first playing with them.  What really made them outstanding was an incredibly tight and smoking drum and bass partnership.  John Kleckley, the drummer, had come from Philadelphia where he had played with the Gamble and Huff team, both in their Philadelphia International studio and on the road with some of their famous acts - Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes, Teddy Pendergrass, and the O’Jays, among many others.  ( Gamble-Huff created 'The Sound of Philadelphia', aka T.S.O.P.  Their fully integrated studio orchestra combined White and Black players, hippies and society orchestra players, horns, string section, guitars, keyboards, strong congas and drumset.  In the early 70s they originated The Hustle dance, one of the most important sources of 1970s disco, and up to 1975 they looked ready to rival Motown as the leading R&B label in the U.S.   (One of my favorite albums from their studio was the doowop nostalgia album 'Gonna Take a Miracle' with Laura Nyro with the Labelle Trio  and with the T.S.O.P. orchestra backing them.   Hey, if you haven't heard this recording and you like doowop and soul, I think you will love it. Also you might want to check out these two instrumental albums, Love is the Message and The Sound of Philadelphia”.)
         John was a short, skinny, brainy-looking guy.   His bass partner Huey was the opposite in appearance: in short, huge!  Huey was a policeman by day,  musician by night, and had a demanding wife.   So sometimes John would have to shout at him 'Wake up, Huey!' when the multiple physical and professional demands on Huey just got to be too much for him.
         Anyway, John and Huey made one of the most excellent bass-drum combos I ever worked with.   The rest of the band was me on keyboards, another White guy on guitar, a woman singer, Verna, and the leader, Kenny on alto sax.  This was at the time when Muhammed Ali and George Foreman had their famous Manila bout, and the song 'Rumble in the Jungle', commemorating it, was still a hit.   That was our masterpiece:  we would play it for up to half an hour, and the crowd loved it!   One night, so many people were crowding into the small club, that some people took the door off its hinges and for the rest of the set our audience was both in the club and up and down the street! At one in the morning!  That was a good time!  
         Alas, just like with my flautists back with the Cosmic Playboys, John got religion and decided he was either not going to play at all or else only forn religious purposes (he had become a devout Jehovah's Witness).  Once John left, Huey left soon after, and Smoke's great groove went with them.  So soon after I left, to work with Ben Petrucci and Jack Jarnis on the Creation City recordings.
         While we were together, John liked to take me aside during set breaks and teach me principles of music.  That was 50 years ago, and I forgot a lot of the specifics, but much of it became so much a part of me that I can't distinguish it from other lessons other musicians taught me.  However, I remember this one in detail:  after a strong set me and John were sitting in a booth in a nearby eatery, and I told John that when I was really into it I would be humming what I played.  "What!" John cried out.  "Aren't you ALWAYS humming?  I hum every drum beat I play!  If my throat isn't sore from humming by the end of the set, I know I've been cheating my audience!" Then he told me how in Gamble-Huff studios they used to distribute chewing gum to all the musicians so their humming wouldn't get into the recording.
         I wonder about that, but ever since I always hummed while I played, and  made all my students do it at least a few times, and the best ones all the time.
         (Interesting that in a classical music teachers meeting in Seattle, the piano chairwoman at University of Washington gave the same advice.   In her case it was her parents, both musicians, who made her hum from her very first piano lessons.  "Aha," I thought, "this advice is coming from opposite ends of the music world  - it's got to be one hundred percent"  So, dear reader, if you are playing piano or bass or drums or guitar, anything that leaves your mouth free? Get humming and keep a-humming!)
         Those nights with John and Huey burning down 'Rumble" are one of my fondest music memories.  And John Kleckley was one of the six teachers who taught me the most (Six?  Don't forget Javier Castillo back in Berkeley in the pre-Chambray days, who started off my whole career).  
 

  


  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A brief introduction

I am Lee Cronbach. For most of my life I have worked as a local or ‘journeyman musician – never getting nationally famous, but rocking quite a few cities in the US In my time.  I’ve played in all sorts of bands – R&B, rock, country, lounge, originals, and church – and in all sorts of gigs (jobs), from rock and R&B bands to jazz combos, jazz big bands,  norteño bands, voice class accompanist, leading church instrumental groups, and others.   During the process I met a lot of interesting and creative people: professional musicians tend to be pretty original folk. And I had quite a few wonderful and wild adventures.  Most of my living has been made from teaching – the performances helped spread my reputation which brought me students and funding from friendly families. And just as with the musicians I worked with, a lot of great stories came out of these families and adult students once you get to know them. In Berkeley, then in Boston, then in Los Angeles, I met and played with f

MY SISTER MARIA THE STORYTELLER – DARK PLUMS

                      My sister reading her ghost story thrillers to me and my bother              Link to my composition, inspired by Maria’s first novel, Dark Plums:            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNMDJGH5pDo                               -------------------------- FROM MARIA TO KANSAS CITY BOB  INTRODUCTON  – “My goodness! I didn’t know anybody else in this college had soul!” I was seated at the piano in the student lounge, around 11 pm, and the person standing behind me was none other than the locally famous Kansas City Bob.  Bob was a White blind freshman from Kansas City, a master musician who could play Ray Charles note-for-note, and lead a brilliant, unforgettable performance of Miles Davis’s Seven Steps to Heaven.   So for him to listen to me play and say I had ‘soul’ was overwhelming!            After high school I spent a year and a half at Washington University, St. Louis, getting up enough ‘A’s to get me as an out-of-state student into UC Berkeley .  (This woul

The Case of the Two Professors and the Knotted Portfolio

               “Why Do You Do What You Do?”                       It was an exciting morning for me.  I was going to be Interviewed by two jazz professors, and one might take Interviewed by two jazz professors, and one might take me on as a grad student. This was the moment I had been working towards ever since I had started lessons with Dr. Norden – to get some college degrees under my belt so I could teach community college, and no longer have to rely on gigs for a (bare) living.           Not only that – each of the professors had played in bands led by famous musicians before moving into the academic field: the morning professor – let’s call him Prof. A – in African-American ‘New Wave’ groups of the 60s the afternoon professor, Prof. B, in mainly white cool groups from the 1950s and early 1960s.             I grabbed all the most interesting compositions I had done for Charley Banacos – or that he liked the best – and a fugue I had written for Dr. Norden; and stuffed them into a br